- 11 cups water
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup canning salt
- 12 pounds pickling cucumbers, quartered or halved lengthwise
- 9 dill sprigs or heads
- 18 garlic cloves
- 18 dried hot chilies
In a stockpot, bring water, vinegar and salt to a boil; boil 10 minutes. Pack cucumbers into nine hot quart jars within 1/2 in. of top. Place one dill head, two garlic cloves and two peppers in each jar.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. .
- Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot
- mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until
- fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are
- completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15
- minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 9 quarts.
** Note from Chella The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.**