For the Cake
- 2 cups flour, divided
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup non-fat vanilla or plain greek yogurt (or you can sub vegetable oil, see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
For the Streusel
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional (or use walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Whisk in pumpkin, greek yogurt, vanilla and milk in a large bowl until no lumps remain. Whisk in sugar, then baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in flour with a spatula or wooden spoon. Batter will be thick. Pour into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, stir butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of flour with a fork. Stir in pecans. Spread on top of pumpkin cake layer.
- Bake about 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted 2” from the side of the pan comes out clean. Cool until you can’t stand it anymore, then cut into squares and serve. It can take up to 30 minutes to bake, depending on your oven. Take it out as soon as a toothpick comes out clean along the edges. Remember, the yogurt will change the texture of the cake. It will be chewier.
If you prefer to use oil, you can substitute vegetable oil for the greek yogurt.