to make popcorn:
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/3 cup unpopped kernels (no more than 1 layer deep of kernels in stock pot or other pot)
to make snack mix:
- popped popcorn from above
- 12-15 caramel candy squares, unwrapped
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups pretzels, sticks or twists
- 1-2 cups pecans, to preference
- 2 cups salted nut mixture
- 1 (12 oz) bag M&M mixture of preference
- In a stock pot or other medium to large sized pot, heat vegetable or canola oil over medium-high. While it is heating, place one kernel of unpopped corn in the oil. Cover the pot and wait for kernel to pop. Once this has occurred, pour in the remaining unpopped kernels, making sure it is no more than one kernel deep. (1/3 cup unpopped corn kernels will yield roughly 4-5 cups popped corn)
- Shake the pot around until you hear the corn stop popping. Take off heat to ensure it doesn't burn. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: popcorn, pretzels, M&Ms and nuts.
- Lastly, in a small pot, place the caramel candies and heavy whipping cream in and put over medium heat. Allow candies to melt, stirring frequently to ensure it doesn't burn. Once all the candies are melted, pour over the snack mixture. Stir to combine and allow to set for about 10 minutes. Enjoy within a few days, and store in an airtight container or zip snap bag.
Carla's Confections original