- 3 1/3 cups fresh or thawed sour cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Clear Jel
- 1 1/3 cups cold water (I used the water the cherries were soaking in)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon bottled lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red food coloring (optional, I didn't use this)
- Rinse and pit fresh cherries, and hold in cold water. For fresh fruit, blanch up to 6 cups of cherries at a time in one gallon of boiling water. After water returns to a boil, boil for one minute. Drain, but keep heated in a covered bowl or pot. Combine Clear Jel and sugar in a large pot and add water. Add cinnamon, almond extract and food coloring. Stir mixture and cook over medium high heat until mixture thickens and bubbles. Add lemon juice and boil one minute, stirring constantly. Fold in drained cherries immediately. Fill your jars with mixture without delay, leaving one inch headspace. Adjust lids and process immediately.
- Instructions for 1 quart, adjust quantities based on the measurement of cherries you have.