1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (small red-skinned potatoes)
1 Tbs shallots - minced
1/4 cup spring (or green) onion - sliced thickly
1 clove garlic - minced
1 Tablespoon fresh tarragon - finely chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Kosher salt - divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Pour 2 quarts cold water into a medium saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Wash potatoes well and slice thickly -- about 1/4-inch per slice.
- Add sliced potatoes to water and heat to a simmer. Simmer until potatoes are tender but not mushy -- 4 to 5 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Drain potatoes and rinse briefly in cold water. Add to dressing and toss gently but thoroughly. Refrigerate if desired or serve at room temperature