I used a choice 5 lb sirloin roast or you can use a top round roast as well. The butcher trimmed the fat, but left 1/4 inch of it on for flavor.
4 cloves garlic
4 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 medium size yellow onion, large dice
1 large bell pepper, cut in half seeds and ribs removed, large dice or slice in 1 inch wide strips
2 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp dry parsley
1 tbsp dry mexican oregano
1/2 tbsp dry basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper
3 cups of water, for the bottom of the roasting pan or pyrex dish
1 1/2 tbsp beef bouillon paste this will be mixed with 3 more cups of water plus the pan drippings and vegetables for your juice
Italian bread loaves cut in 5 inch pieces with a hinge cut
Roasted Peppers, see pizza toppings ,but cut the pepeprs in 1 inch strips.
Dont forget, Giardinara!
Cut 4 small slits in the surface of the meat as seen in the picture, push cloves of fresh garlic and the sprigs of Italian parsley into the meat.
Place the cut onion and pepeprs on the bottom of a roasting pan, place your meat onto vegetables in the pan and then sprinkle the seasonings on top of the beef. Pour 3 cups of water on the bottom of the pan.
Insert your temperature probe into the meat and set it for 130 degrees then place your roast into the oven. If you don't have a thermometer then please buy one, its a good investment.
I removed the roast when the probe sounded of at 130o
Let the roast rest for an hour then transfer it juice and all into a suitable sized container and refrigerated it overnight.
The next day I plugged the crock pot in and added 3 cups of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons beef broth paste to it. For Italian Beef I prefer to use a slicing machine but in this instance I cut it by hand by using a sharp knife and shaving it as thin as possible. this is extremely important if you are using any other meat other than choice sirloin.
I placed the sliced beef into the crock pot and as you can see it filled it up! Once the beef and juice was up to temperature I started to cry because it tasted so good! :)
Make your sandwich
- Spoon some juice onto the bun, top and bottom. Pile on the beef!
- Hold the sandwich in the middle with some tongs and dip the ends of the sandwich into the juice.
- Now it the time to add your roasted peppers and or giardinara.
- For a Mozza Beef place 2 large slices of mozzarella cheese on the bottom of the bun after you juice it then place the beef on top.
- Some like a Pizza Beef where you make the sandwich then top it with pizza sauce, mozzarella and parm then slide it into a hot 400 degree oven to finish it off nice and melted.